Pages

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Diablo 3 expansion before PVP? Lame

      I know of two instances where a developer has released a game that is not complete; Diablo 3 and ARMA 3.  I am not talking about games which are shipped buggy, and seem poorly made.  I am talking about companies deciding they are ready to ship a game now, regardless of the condition of the game. 
      Blizzard said when Diablo 3 was released that full PVP would be available after launch.  One and a half years later, and Blizzard is gearing up to release an expansion for the game, with no sign of 5v5  PVP. The “brawler” system of 1v1 fights is not what was promised. 


      Cut to December 2012 and, “we are going back to the drawing board on a new replacement for Team Deathmatch.”   Because, “It's not up to the quality that Blizzard gamers expect or that we feel you deserve,and it doesn't really fit with our goals for the rest of the game”  If they were worried about putting out a quality product, why did they only release a portion of the game?  I am glad Blizzard wants to put out a quality product, don’t get me wrong, but when companies devote resources to a new expansion that costs money to purchase, rather than working on the free feature that was promised at launch, I have a problem.     
      Arma 3 is being released without its single player campaign.  The developers say the campaign will be finished within four weeks after the release of the multiplayer portion of the game.  My question is, if the single is going to be ready a month after launch, why not delay the launch by a month?  ARMA 3 has not been released yet, and I have no reason to not take Bohemian Interactive at their word, but I also have no reason to trust them.
      Maybe I am getting worried over nothing, but when companies start making statements that they don’t keep in a timely fashion, I think things can go downhill quickly.  If other developers see Blizzard, get away with it, why can’t they?


No comments:

Post a Comment